Monday, November 10, 2008

Ramble, ramble, ramble...

























On Halloween it was 70 degrees and beautiful. Last week I was able to sit outside at the pic-nic table to enjoy my lunch and appreciate Indian summer. Today there were warnings about iced overpasses and a fine dusting of snow on the cars, lawns and roofs.

My mother is what we call a snowbird. She lives 1/2 the year in Michigan and 1/2 the year in Florida. She called my brother today and was complaining that it just felt weird to go into the stores in Florida; they have their Christmas decorations up and the holiday music is playing overhead, but it just doesn't feel like Christmas. I just can't feel sorry for her; it's less than 32 degrees here and 80+ degrees there. We have to scrape our windows here, she has to crack hers there so the car won't overheat. I'm layered with sweats, t-shirt, hoodie (with the hood up!), and I'm sitting under a blanket and she is layered with t-shirt and sun-screen. She also informed my brother, sister and I that she doesn't want to "DO CHRISTMAS" this year, yet she can't figure out why it doens't feel like Christmas there...hmmm, it's a mystery to me.

I get to do Thanksgiving this year. YEAH! In two (almost three) weeks everyone will congregate at my house for some good old fashioned over-eating! WOO HOO!! My sister and her husband plus my nephew (their last kid at home), my brother and his wife, my married nephew and his wife, my niece; home from college, plus my two boys. I love the time when all the family gets together; food, fun, laughter! We play games and yell louder and louder - I love it! I even took the day after Thanksgiving off work. I am finally going to go to one of those CRAZY day-after Thanksgiving early store opening shopping extravaganzas with my sister and anyone else crazy enough to go with us. The only thing missing is my nephew who is currently in Fort Knox, KY going through basic training for the Army. We will all miss him, the over-eating will not be the same without skinny D!

I had some kind of idea that this was all going to come together somehow..something about the changing seasons and how much you can appreciate it in Michigan. I've gotten off track a bit.

It's getting colder, winter is upon us. I am going to focus on Thanksgiving for now and remember to be thankful for my frustrating, silly, loud, loving, aggravating, wonderful family - near and far!

3 comments:

Neo said...

I really don't like the cold weather. Its been really nice this year in Cincinnati. Thanksgiving sounds great, I have seemed to have distanced myself from the family and I am not sure what is up with the overeating festival this year. I recall one several years ago, even invited to my brothers I stayed home and had chicken pot pie. Hope all goes well

Princess Lynn said...

EEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!

I am SO excited to be going home!!! I can't wait to see everyone! I miss you guys a LOT! I am sure that Gage and Chase will seem even TALLER than the last time I saw them - are you feeding them Miracle Grow or what? lol

I-Liquidate said...

What??? No pics of you and me sis?