Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Different interests...




I don’t get some people…

I’ve been very excited about my new hobby – blogging. When I try to talk to people about it I get a variety of responses:

“Isn’t that like writing a diary that everybody can read? That’s kinda creepy, I wouldn’t want anyone knowing personal stuff about me” accompanied with a startled look and secretly wondering what kind of stuck-up person am I that I want everyone to know so much about me (ok, maybe I’m reading into the look)

“Wow, you really have a lot of time on your hands” accompanied with a slight sneer and air of superiority that she is soooo busy she has no time to do something so frivolous. (I am NOT reading into that look, I work with this woman, she looks at everyone this way!)

“Sounds boring” accompanied with a blank stare (bored people are boring!)

“Hey, that’s kinda cool, I wish I could do something like that, but I wouldn’t know what to write about” accompanied with a look I see reflected on the other side of any mirror I’m looking into – INTEREST!

I like these types of people; the ones who show interest and are looking to learn something new or try something different. These folks I could chat with for quite some time and tell them “YES, you too can BLOG and share whatever interest or stories you have inside you begging to get out”. Our blogs don’t have to be anything awe-inspiring or academically astounding; you can write about you, your life, anything you want – it’s all good.

These are the same people we all have to deal with on a regular basis. That is what makes life wonderful, albeit frustrating. I’m glad I found this new hobby. I’m happy to write about my life and let everyone who wants to, take a peek! I don’t have any more time on my hands than any other person; I just choose to use my time differently – not so much TV, a little more computer and being creative. It doesn’t make me any better than anyone else, but it might make me a little happier!

4 comments:

Henry Chourou said...

I do think so,too,Scarlet.

Neo said...

I find your blog posts to be very interesting. I enjoy blogging too. I like to share things I pick up on the web, learn through life and of course the stuff I do at work. Don't be bothered by the ones that don't understand. haha, like a joke I heard once, "it always feels weird the first time"
and its not a diary, its a journal lol

Princess Lynn said...

blogging = win

I agree with you completely - when you blog you can write about whatever you want - for me it is a way to relax and work on my grammar/writing skills.

You should see some of the looks I get around here when I tell people about my blog. If a person reacts negatively upon finding out that I have a blog, I just take the time to realize that this individual does not fully understand the concept of blogging, therefore they can not fully appreciate it.

Oh, and as John informed me, you can use your blog as a weapon! (haha) If someone happens to offend you during the day, just let them know, in a very ominous fashion, that you WILL blog about them later, and THEN they will be sorry, because EVERYONE will know.

John Pavlick said...

Ohh yeah. Blogs are wonderful weapons. (I'm John, by the way... but you probably already knew that.)

Blogging is a medium by which we can share ourselves with everyone. I think it's amazing.

But if someone disagrees... then it would be nice if they had the decency to respect your desire to blog. Don't get me started on my rant about how people don't respect each other anymore.

-K