Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday, the end or the begining?




Is Sunday the start of the week or the end of the week?

We usually think of Monday as the start of the work week and Saturday and Sunday as the weekend..emphasis on end. Most calendars start the week with Sunday though. Because I share custody of my kids with their dad, our weeks revolved around Sunday. Take this week for example. Today, Sunday, the boys are with me and have been all week. Tonight at 6pm they go back to their dad's house. So this (to me at least) is a bad Sunday (not bad so much as sad), and end of the week Sunday, my boys will not be back for 7 days. This is also a rushed day..we clean the house together, finish homework before going to Dad's and try to cram in some "family" stuff on this, our last day of the week together.

The agenda for today:

David (the neighbor kid and best friend to my oldest) was still here - spent the night Friday and Saturday night! He just went home..I actually made them breakfast today, usually I make them get cereal or help themselves. So now that David has departed the day starts (at noon, sigh, not a good start).

SHOWERS - my oldest is 13 and has been playing video games and lounging for the past 48+ hours!! As soon as David left I just pointed at the bathroom door and said "GO". The younger is next..he's 10 and not quite as disheveled (yet).

HOMEWORK - my kids are probably no different than anyone's. Homework assigned on Friday does not even get considered until Sunday and usually not until the clock reads "PM". Of course by then anything they might have remembered relating to the homework assignment has been forgotten and I get to be brutally reminded that NO, I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader. Thank-you Jeff Foxworthy! One plus, the 13 year old is a great student and I rarely have to help with his homework..thank goodness since he is a 7th grader and that study material is way out of my grasp on a Sunday at noon!! I am shamed to admit I just had to look in the glossary to find out what the answer was to "What is a quotient"...hee hee hee, it's the answer when you are doing long division..it would probably be redundant at this point to tell you I was a poor student and by poor I mean dumb!

SHOPPING - because of this crummy snow I haven't ventured out this weekend. We need some food and I promised we could get a new Wii game that they can beat me at (which would be any Wii game) but, I am getting my own controller with a pink cover!! No one touches it but me!

FAMILY TIME - This will consist of playing the new Wii game I assume and me having aching arms for another week.

DINNER - Well, I'll figure this out after we go to the store, but I've been craving pork chops lately so that will probably be on the menu.

BACK TO DADS - at 6pm-ish we gather up the stuff and head over to Dads. Book bags, winter boots, backpacks with a favorite video game or book (they used to be filled with a favorite stuffed animal and blanket, sniffle sniffle time flies).

Sunday is the end of the week on days like today, but in 7 days it will once again be the beginning of the week when my boys come back around 6pm and start my week our the way it should always start with a big ole smile on my face and my finger pointing toward the bathroom saying - "You have got to get in the shower"!


No comments: